This Thursday sees the launch of Class: A Graphic Guide, and we'll have authors Laura Harvey, Sarah Leaney and Danny Noble along to celebrate! The latest in Icon Books' series of copiously illustrated beginners guides, this one tackles that most complex of English cultural artifacts: social class. Head on down Thursday September 22nd, 7-9pm, and raise a glass with Laura, Sarah and Danny! Details here.
Then on Saturday we've got a great line-up for the launch of the Best of 2000AD Vol 01! Arthur Ranson, Jamie McKelvie, Tom Muller & Adam Sherif will all be here to sign copies of the new anthology of classic tales, much-anticipated since its delay at the beginning of the pandemic. Get yourself down here on Saturday September 24th, 1-2pm and keep those thrill-suckers at bay! Details here.
Quick reminder that due to the funeral on Monday there is a delay with deliveries this week. The comics will be arriving on Wednesday to go out then, so will probably be out from around lunchtime (delivery gods willing).
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
- CREEPSHOW #1 (OF 5) - The Creepshow Creep returns to comics! Yes, the EC-inspired, Stephen King-shepherded film/streaming show (which also had a comics album way back when) has a brand new tie-in anthology series! This issue we get shorts from Chris Burnham, Paul Dini, Steve Langford and John McCrea. Love me some Creepshow, which puts this top of the pile for me!
- VANISH #1 - A new series from Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman about a former teen hero whose mythic, magical adventures of youth have left him a scarred shell of a grown man. But when a new super-team appears that may have connections to his former arch-nemesis, he's forced to return to the supernatural madness that almost killed him last time. Cates and Stegman are delivering what feels like a proper 90's infused bit of nasty action. Sounds good!
- PHENOMENA HC VOL 01 - The first new creator-owned Brian Michael Bendis project in a while is this YA fantasy adventure with artist André Lima Araújo. Three orphans join together on a quest across a world which has undergone a magical change, but where their journey takes them and even their ultimate purpose will only become clear as they undertake their adventure.
- X-TERMINATORS #1 (OF 5) - A new limited X-series featuring Wolverine, Boom-Boom, Jubilee and Dazzler, kidnapped from a night out and thrust into a series of death traps. Leah Williams and Carlos Gómez are bringing a bit of grindhouse flair to this action-packed series.
- BATMAN ONE BAD DAY TWO-FACE #1 - It's Harvey Dent's time to shine in this latest in the series of One Bad Day one-shots. Mariko Tamaki and Javier Fernandez take point on this Two-Face tale of reform, relapse and revenge. Quick note on these One Bad Day one-shots: I copied orders from Batman on the Riddler one because as it was written by Tom King I felt people might want to give it a try. I'm not copying anything over on this one, however, so if you want to go down for any one of these one-shots, or indeed all of them, and haven't done so already, just let me know by email or next time you're in store.
- HARLEY QUINN 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 - Celebrating 30 years of the inexorable rise of Harleen Quinzel from animated comedy Joker sidekick to one of DC's most popular and widely recognised (not to mention cosplayed) characters. You know how these things go: 100 pages of stories from a host of creators (quite a good host, actually), including Harley co-creator Paul Dini!
- STUFF OF NIGHTMARES #1 (OF 4) - The immensely popular R.L. Stine returns to comics with an all-new creator-owned take on the tale of Frankenstein. Kind of. Two brothers, obsessed with creating life, create ONLY HORROR! I'm guessing. Anyway, as you might guess from the cover, Stine is going all-in on this one, along with artist A.L. Kaplan.
- ACTION JOURNALISM #1 - Meet Kate Kelly, fearless reporter and part of the Action Journalism team. Kate is on a mission to infiltrate the fleet of an alien armada intent on invasion. She must uncover the truth, stop the invasion, and get a hard-hitting interview in while she's at it! Extreme journo action with creators Eric Skillman and Miklós Felvidéki.
That's it for this week! See you next time!