I'm happy to say that we announced our Best of 2020 lists on Friday! You can find a full list of our adult and kids lists with a little commentary on each at the following links:
In other news, our standing order overspill has once again expanded somewhat, so it would be great it you haven't had a mail-out or collected your s/o at the door over the course of the lockdown and you think it may have built up a bit to drop us a line and do so. We've got Olive in a few days a week now to help push ahead with s/o mailouts!
Otherwise not much to report! We're still intending to reopen as soon as we're allowed (which looks to be December 3rd, not the 2nd as I mistakenly said before) so hopefully not too long before we see your smiling faces!
Alrighty, onto the comics. Not a massive week, but there's a few noteworthy releases!
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
- OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1 (OF 5) - The much-delayed John Ridley-penned alternative history of the DC Universe that tells the stories of minority heroes. Much like the classic post-Crisis two-parter, it's presented as illustrated prose, touring us through the major events of the DCU, but from a perspective we haven't really seen before. Giuseppe Camuncoli & Andrea Cucchi provide the illustrations.
- I WALK WITH MONSTERS #1 - It's been a while since we've seen a now creator-owned book from Paul Cornell! Here he teams up with artist Sally Cantirino for a full-on horror series that he describes as his most personal work yet. It's about trauma and the monsters that lurk within and without, and the preview we've seen looks pretty great.
- DARK NIGHTS DEATH METAL MULTIVERSE THAT LAUGHS #1 - This anthology gives us a glimpse into the twisted worlds the Batman Who Laughs has created (including those evil Super-Pets on the cover). Stories by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Chad Hardin, Patton Oswalt, Sanford Greene, Scott Snyder, Joshua Williamson, James Tynion IV and Juan Gedeon.
- X OF SWORDS DESTRUCTION #1 - It's a grand finale to X of Swords! By Jonathan Hickman, Tini
Howard & Pepe
- KAIJU SCORE #1 - James Patrick & Rem Broo present a heist comic with a catch: the score of a lifetime is sitting under the nose of a huge kaiju. Sounds like a fun movie premise, which is probably why Sony have snapped it up!
- POWER PACK #1 (OF 5) - Power Pack is back! The cult-favourite kid heroes return, with Ryan North & Nico Leon at the helm. To be honest we couldn't think of a better writer for PP than Ryan North, so we'll be checking this one out.
- WITCHER FADING MEMORIES #1 (OF 4) - A new Witcher mini-series, no doubt inspired by a certain hit Netflix show. Geralt is down on his luck as all the monsters have disappeared, so no work for Witchers. Until he gets an invite from a small town where everything is not what it seems.
- LOIS LANE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE TP - Greg Rucka and Mike Perkins' 12-issue mini gets a nice bumper collection! If you missed this on the shelves as singles I'd highly recommend the trade. It's a journalistic thriller that really showcases the idea of Lois as a reporter. Heck, it's even got The Question, and we are always up for Rucka writing Renee Montoya / The Question.
And that's it for this week. Join me next week when hopefully I'll be giving you some reopening information!